A month ago last night….

A month ago last night we experienced every parents nightmare.  It was a lovely Friday evening and I was upstairs running myself a bath and the boys were outside at a neighbors house.  I was looking forward to a relaxing evening, that just wasn’t meant to be.

I didn’t hear anyone yelling for me due to the location of our bathroom and the running water but once I heard an unfamiliar voice yelling my name downstairs I quickly threw on my pajamas and bolted downstairs and outside.  My son was messing around on his bike, without his helmet, and he fell hard and it looked like he fractured his eye socket at the very least.  As I arrived on scene there was blood everywhere, all over my husband and my son.  I think I swayed a bit.  I am not quesey by nature but all bets are off when it’s my child’s blood.  Our neighbor promptly called 911 and we waited.  I suspected other injuries and remained calm while running into the house to put on regular clothes and grab my purse.

One the ambulance arrived my son was put in a cervical collar and strapped to a backboard and put into the ambulance.  He was assessed and everyone did an amazing job.  It was determined that due to the head injury he needed to be transported to Children’s Hospital in DC and the best way to get there was helicopter.  We live in a cul-de-sac and were so thankful that the Maryland State Troopers could land at the end of our driveway and take Bryce and I from there.  Getting into a helicopter was a first for me and a tad daunting with all the blades going.



This all began around 5:30 pm.  I went with Bryce in the helicopter and hubby would have to meet us there.  I felt bad that he had to make the drive being so upset.  I can’t say enough about the two wonderful female trooper EMT’s.  They were awesome and took such wonderful care of my baby.  They even took a picture of the city all light up for Bryce.


They were right, it was a prefect night for a helicopter ride.

Children’s Hospital was beyond awesome.  A trauma team was assembled and waiting and they went over him head to toe.  I heard the possibility of a skull fracture and eye socket injury and frankly I was glad they had me sitting down.  After x-rays and CAT scans he had a mild concussion and a broken collar bone and I aged about 5 years.

We left Children’s around 2:00 am on Saturday morning arriving home at 3:00 am.  It was not a restful sleep.  I felt on alert most of the night.

A month later and he is almost completely healed.  You know how it is with kids, they bounce back quick. Hubby and I are still not over the whole thing.  These things linger with parents.

So, this is one of the reasons I haven’t been around much.  There are more as things seem to happen in three’s…..

I hope you have a wonderful Saturday.  I’ll be back soon.



One response to “A month ago last night….

  1. OMG – scary! I am so glad he is alright.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s